Post by Howard Metcalfe on Feb 13, 2011 11:03:23 GMT -5
Q: How do I marry two people who are already on file?
A: Suppose you want to create a marriage for John Smith and Mary Jones who are both already in the same data file. (They may or may not already have another partner or partners.)
1. Make one of them, say John, the current person.
2. If john is not married to anyone else, click on the Add Partner button for John. Or choose Add a Partner to This Person from the Person menu (option-command-A).
If John is married to another person or persons, choose Add Another Partner from the Partners popup menu for John. Or control-click (right-click) on the existing Partner button and choose Add Another Partner from the Popup menu. Or choose Add a Partner to This Person from the Person menu (option-command-A).
3. In the Family window that appears, click once on the Unknown partner. (If John is the current person, then the woman will be labeled Unknown.)
4. Choose Add Partner to This Family by Name from the Family menu (command-F). Find May Jones in the list of people on file that appears. Select Mary, and she will be added as the new partner of John. If you happen to know Mary's RIN you can choose Add Partner to This Family by RIN (command-R) instead and enter that RIN.
5. Click Enter in the Family window to create the new family.
Of course, you can add children before creating the new family. And you can add people already on file as children by clicking once on the New Child entry in the Children Area and choosing Add Child to This Family by Name (command-F) or by RIN (command-R) from the Family menu.